Van Der Graaf Generator - Godbluff CD (album) cover

GODBLUFF

Van Der Graaf Generator

DisgruntledPorcupine
5 stars Part of my "desert island" collection

Yes, if I was to take 5 albums and only 5 albums to a desert island, this would most certainly be in my collection. One of my favourite albums of all time, it is just amazing...

A description of the music: "The Undercover Man" starts out very quietly and creepily, but eventually picks up into a great melodic ballad track. A beautiful track. It flows directly into "Scorched Earth" which is a louder track with a repetitive but still fun instrumental section. Probably the weakest track, but still great. "Arrow" contains amazing drumming and some angry and odd sounding vocals from Hammill, who sings with his usual extreme emotion. A constantly entertaining one. Then comes one of VdGGs definite best, "The Sleepwalkers." It contains all around amazing vocals, amazing melodies, and amazing lyrics. The song seems to have a constant happy tone, with an elevator music section, a great but short sax solo that flows into a chorus of shouting vocals. Amazing song...

PROS:

Vocals: Peter's vocals may not be for everyone, but they are definitely great to some. He sings with so much emotion and power that every track has the maximum effect possible.

Saxophone: The saxophone has many great bits here. "The Sleepwalkers" contains overall amazing sax work and the best on the album.

Controlled: This album is a lot more controlled and less chaotic than the bands previous albums, which worked as a great improvement for them.

Constistency: Every track on this album is amazing. There is nothing really wrong with them at all.

CONS:

Vocals: As I said. Hammil's vocals may be pretty odd to some and they may not receive it well.

Song ratings: The Undercover Man: 10/10 Scorched Earth: 9/10 Arrow: 9.5/10 The Sleepwalkers: 11/10

Recommended for: VdGG starters. People who love a little oddness.

My rating: 5 stars. A definite masterpiece and one of my favourite albums of all time.

DisgruntledPorcupine | 5/5 |