Yes - Close To The Edge CD (album) cover

CLOSE TO THE EDGE

Erik91
5 stars Close to the Edge... where do I start?

Well, with the sound of birds and nature. I'm not from the generation where Yes was at their prime, I was born in 1991, (after constantly listening to Drama and 90125 from the age of 1) and immediately found this song with the dawn of Napster back in the late 90's, around the age of 7 or 8... Loved the music, but was a bit too young to appreciate what it all truly meant.

This album features the Jon Anderson/Bill Bruford/Rick Wakeman/Steve Howe/Chris Squire lineup of Fragile, who, after said album's release, felt they were capable of taking on something more drastic than the already explorative themes of Fragile's tracks. Taking from Siddartha by Herman Hesse, the band made Close to the Edge, centered around the theme of "coming back to where it all began"...

Indeed, the song begins with the sound of birds and nature, before opening with Rick Wakeman's Moog noise, and crashing into Steve Howe's jazzy, chaotic phrygian guitar solo (which, unfortunately, turn my friends off to this kind of music). Jammed into the chaos are some strange but amazing vocal harmonies... all eventually reared into a much more(?) pleasant sounding melody, which quickly moves into the crunching bass and guitar riff and "A SEASONED WITCH COULD CALL YOU FROM THE DEPTHS OF YOUR DISGRACE...", and so on, I'm just rambling now. Guess how the song ends?... A masterpiece by any standard, this song is a mental journey that despite the first part of the song turning my friends off, has pretty much grabbed them by the balls anyways. The whole band are to be drooled over in this song...

Side Two is "And You and I", and "Siberian Khatru". "And You and I", supposedly loosely based on Isaac Aasimov's Foundation series, is simply beautiful with Steve, Rick and Jon, in my opinion, highlighting the song's harmonies and rhythms. 12-String, Pedal Steel, Moog and self-harmonized vocals, this song is certainly one of the most unique of the early 70's... don't want to say too much to ruin it for anyone who unfortunately hasn't had the pleasure of hearing this album

"Siberian Khatru" is, for one, a word that makes absolutely no sense at all. Jon Anderson made up the word Khatru, although sense has recently (in the last decade I believe?) been made of it, by giving the name to a newly discovered type of dragonfly. Nevertheless, the song begins with a familiar sort of guitar lick (Hey Joe ring a bell?), before moving into Chris's pounding bass and Rick's jumpy keyboards... again, don't wanna ruin much for those who haven't listened yet, but... HARPSICHORD.

Erik91 | 5/5 |