Frank Zappa - We're Only In It For The Money CD (album) cover

WE'RE ONLY IN IT FOR THE MONEY

Frank Zappa

RIO/Avant-Prog

The Truth
5 stars Rarely do I give an album five stars that's as silly as this one is, but it truly deserves it.

Frank's answer to Sgt. Pepper was one large cynical hippie rant that any fan of music can't resist. I mean, as it turns out flower-power had no power. Or at least that's what Frank told me.

Anyways, what you get hear is a bunch of silly little psych-pop tunes interspersed with sound and noise experiments. The imprint it leaves on your mind is "Wow! I gotta hear that again" so you do, again and again and again. It's like a drug, I don't normally like stuff this comedic. But I get the feeling that somewhere in that vast mess of intentional idocracy there is some deeper meaning.

I'll go ahead and say it right now that this is the only silly album I will give five stars. Just the sheer variety it gives makes me do that. I think anyways.

Also, the ending hurts your head after awhile but after hearing it I couldn't help but think, "What a nutjob! Putting that on a record!" Then I remembered, that's how most prog is.

The Truth | 5/5 |