Patrick Moraz - Windows Of Time  CD (album) cover

Patrick Moraz

Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars When I see an album of solo piano pieces that are not either jazz or strict classical, my first fear is that they will succumb to the bland stylings of artists like George Winston. When I find an album of solo piano by a keyboardist of the stature of Patrick Moraz, who's work with Yes and Bill Bruford I greatly admire, I'll give it a chance.

First, the good parts. The opening piece, InvocationRelayer. The piece is fast and furious, at times reminiscent of vintage Keith Emerson, but always with Moraz' unique flavor. And further along, Talisman, based on the jazz classic Caravan (Now who doesn't sound good playing that piece?) showcases Moraz in a jazzy setting, with even more spectacular results.

But alas, the remainder of the album is much less interesting. I wouldn't say it's bad, but it doesn't have the spark of those two above mentioned tracks. Good background music, rarely elevating to anything more.

2.5 stars, rounded up.