Miller, Sinclair, Tomkins Gowen - Before A Word Is Said  CD (album) cover

BEFORE A WORD IS SAID

Miller, Sinclair, Tomkins Gowen

Canterbury Scene

snobb
4 stars The only album of this Canterbury Scene project, and the one with sad story around it. Alan Gowan, ex-Gilgamesh and ex - National Health keyboard player recorded this album with his friends and known British jazz musicians at his home just some weeks before his death (he died at age of 33 of leukemia).

And this sad ,nostalgic atmosphere is presented on this album in full. Not usual complex and slightly psychedelic jazz fusion, known under "Canterbury sound"name, but more melodic, not so complex, very jazzy, full of sadness nand melancholy music.

I believe the story about Gowan last release and his death has it's influence, but even if don't know nothing about it, from very first sounds you feel this very special album's atmosphere. And I believe that this release is that rare case, when you FEEL music much stronger than you HEAR it.

Thinking about separate musical components, I can't say why this quite simple jazz rock has such emotional power. But I listen this album again and again, and it looks that music just hypnotises you!

Sound quality is not bad, but mix could really be better. Some songs sound unfinished. But - you don't pay attention when the music plays. What a magical release!

My rating is 3,5, rounded to 4!

snobb | 4/5 |