Godspeed You! Black Emperor - Yanqui U.X.O. CD (album) cover

YANQUI U.X.O.

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Post Rock/Math rock

msphelps
4 stars Yanqui U.X.O. is my least favourite Godspeed You! Black Emperor album. It strips their musical formula of the soundscapes that made it so original and maximizes the space with the extended, evolving post-rock pieces that dominate their live performances. The core part of their music that painted vivid mental pictures is lost in favour of mere musical experimentation.

And yet, I can't hate this album. The music is just too fantastic in its own right for my anger at the abandonment of their style to overcome it. While some will see this album as merely the natural progression of the band, I see it as a slight step backwards. But even a band like this stepping backwards manages to make some of the finest music you will ever hear. It's difficult to reconcile, but this album is still fantastic. It's a must-have for any fan of post-rock or progressive music.

I'd like to give it a 4.5/5, but alas, I must round down to a 4.

msphelps | 4/5 |