Steve Morse Band - High Tension Wires CD (album) cover

HIGH TENSION WIRES

Steve Morse Band

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
4 stars First, if you are going to give your albuma title like High Tension Wires, shouldn't there be some element of tension in the music? This album is much more laid back than the other Steve Morse albums I've heard, or any of the Dixie Dregs albums. Speaking of the Dregs, all of the members from the classic lineup are here, although the one song with the full Dregs band together, Leprechaun Promenade, I believe was originally released by The Dregs on the Ensoniq promo disk, Off The Record.

Despite the laid back feel, this is still a fine album, with Morse's inimitable style, mixing rock, country, jazz and classical, sometimes all at the same time. The best track is Tumeni Notes, the one truly speedy song (note the title), where Morse gets to show off his bluegrass and rock chops, to spectacular effect.

I can understand why many people like this album. I like it a lot. But I prefer Morse's more energetic albums.

Evolver | 4/5 |