Relocator - Relocator CD (album) cover

3 stars Accomplished first studio outing from these Germans who, despite the munch of Stefan Artwin's guitars, retain a distinct fusiony sound. A sound that will likely please both progmetal fans who like a hint of Jazz and fusionheads with a taste for metal. Either way, this is a quintet that impresses with plenty of instrumental grooves, cool changes and pro performances (including Derek Sherinian's unmistakable keyboards). My only complaint is that the material sounds a bit dated; if this had been released fifteen years ago it may have made more waves. As it is, I fear it may come off as simply another modern heavy-fusion record. Great stuff, but we've kinda been there [i.e. Sherinian's own Planet X or Joe Satriani]. On the other hand, good music is always welcome, and I'm sure this one will be received warmly by anyone who can't have enough quality jazzmetal on their shelf. Overall, a safe bet and a good buy.
Atavachron | 3/5 |