The Muffins - Manna/Mirage CD (album) cover

The Muffins

Canterbury Scene

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
5 stars So this is American Canterbury music? I like it.

Somewhere between National Health, Soft Machine, Henry Cow, and the original Mothers Of Invention lies the sound of this album by The Muffins. The music is primarily played by four core multi-instrumentalists: Billy Swan, Paul Sears, Tom Scott and Dave Newhouse (of course it helps to let Wayside Music/Cuneiform Records owner Steve Feigenbaum play on the album). The result is a wonderful journey through sometimes improvised, sometimes tightly written, jazzy rock music.

All four pieces are truly pieces of ear candy, and essential for any collector of the Canterbury Scene genre. Really, the only flaw I find is that even on the CD (I have the Wayside 1991 release), the recording quality is rough. It sounds more like a nineteen sixties album than a seventies recording.

But even with the sound problems, I'd call it a masterpiece. 4.5 stars, rounded up.

Evolver | 5/5 |