Porcupine Tree - In Absentia CD (album) cover

Porcupine Tree

4.24 | 2000 ratings

5 stars In Absentia draws from various influences, and doesn't fit one genre, like other PT albums. This one has a fairly alternative style, yet is not devoid of progressive influences.

This album often is praised as one of Porcupine Tree's finest albums, and I'd have to agree. The songs are pretty interesting, and the atmospherics created by Steven Wilson are enthralling. It starts with Blackest Eyes, which contains a riff that would not be out of place on a metal album. Creating ambient music and surreal soundscapes, the album continues to flow impeccably until the end. The album features very diverse tracks, from the aforementioned heavy Blackest Eyes to the captivating ballad Heartattack In a Layby, or even to the ambient sounds on .3.

Several songs on this album are hailed as some of the band's best, such as Trains and .3, and I'd have to agree.

The only song on this album that I find hard to digest is Gravity Eyelids, which is a little too long and uninspired. However, I find nearly every other track fantastic. I highly recommend this to any prog fan or even any open-minded music lover.

Overall: 4.8

Mystery | 5/5 |