Yes - The Yes Album CD (album) cover

THE YES ALBUM

Mystery
4 stars This was not my first Yes album, but it was one that perennially cemented the band into my favorites. This album is really different from the previous two, which many people thought were lacking. Although prog music is thought to be inaccessible, this album succeeds in not only having some catchy tunes, but also some complex passages that are common in prog.

This album is often regarded as Yes's first masterpiece, and I definitely agree with that sentiment. With classic tunes like Starship Trooper, Yours Is no Disgrace, I've Seen All Good People, etc., this album possibly is Yes's finest. The music is enjoyable to listen to and has many hooks, yet also is very complex.

The album has good transitions and excellent instrumental work. Each band member plays his instrument masterfully, and the music is more mature compared to Yes's previous albums. Every prog fan should at least listen to this album. Yet, this album does not capture my complete attention like later works Fragile and Close to the Edge would, so I'll give it 4 stars.

Mystery | 4/5 |