Alpes & Catherine Ribeiro - Ame Debout CD (album) cover

Alpes & Catherine Ribeiro

Psychedelic/Space Rock

5 stars This is my favourite album by Catherine Ribeiro and Alpes. It brings back dark memories of being part of a jury at a high court in winter in 2006, travelling by train in the dark - which could, in a weird way sum up this album.

It's probably the gloomiest of their albums, but is beautiful at the same time. I'm so pleased she always sang in French. A lot of the emotion would have been lost if she'd sung in English. This is my one gripe with most Krautrock bands. This, however, is no Kraut album. Alpes are instantly identifiable even without the vocals. I've always thought there's something a bit creepy about their albums. I can't quite put my finger on it. Most folk agree that 'Paix' was the high watermark of their career. Well, I choose this one. It's cool, suave, bleak, laid back yet intense. Oh, and she looks great - black eyeliner, jet black hair and a fantastic jawbone! A tremendous album that probably creeps in to my top 40 (from 4000 albums).

Dobermensch | 5/5 |