Metamorfosis - Papallones I Elefants CD (album) cover

PAPALLONES I ELEFANTS

Metamorfosis

Mellotron Storm
3 stars METAMORFOSIS were an early eighties band from Spain.They play a Jazz / Fusion brand of music but there is also a strong Symphonic flavour at times.The star of this band for me is the drummer, he's incredible to say the least. No horns here but lots of keyboards and guitar. I must admit while I like the piano I don't think much of the synths or the tone of the guitar.Too bad because if I look at this album objectively it's easily 4 stars but the problem is I don't enjoy it that much and i'm a subjective reviewer. I've listened 6 times now to this album called "Buterflies And Elephants" (English translation) and my opinion hasn't changed even though there are some fantastic sections.

"Papallones I Elefants" is very Symphonic once it settles in with keyboards and drums leading. Intricate guitar after 4 1/2 minutes. A change before 6 minutes as piano and drums lead. Guitar before 8 1/2 minutes takes the lead, nice bass too. "Un Joc Als Cinc Anys" opens with intricate sounds and synths before the piano takes over. Guitar takes a turn then the piano returns as the bass and drums continue throughout. A Spanish flavour to this one. "Pel A Pel Per Proxim Dia" is led by piano and drums early. Guitar before a minute. The drumming is so good. It settles 2 1/2 minutes in then kicks back in at 6 minutes.

"Morir Per Viure" opens with sirens and explosive sounds followed by a baby crying. Mellow music then takes over. It picks up 5 minutes in with piano out front. Guitar takes a turn then we get a drum solo after 8 1/2 minutes. From 9 1/2 minutes to the end is the best part of the whole album. A Jazz / Fusion section with fantastic drum work. "El Reflex Delteu Mirall" picks up before 2 minutes with piano and drums. It turns jazzy after 2 1/2 minutes. Guitar a minute later then keyboards. A calm 6 1/2 minutes in then the bass and drums start to lead. Synths join in as well.

A good album that has some great moments. 3.5 stars.

Mellotron Storm | 3/5 |