The Nice - Nice CD (album) cover

The Nice

Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
3 stars This album I first heard when a teacher in a high school music appreciation class played it for the us. At the time I was a huge ELP fan, and was overjoyed. Now I know he could have chosen better.

This album is quite inferior to the previous Ars Longa Vita Brevis. The studio recordings are a step back toward the psychedelic style of the first Nice album, and away from the symphonic gem that was ALVB. It's not bad because of that, but it is definitely inferior.

For Example is pretty good, as it shows the band experimenting with a theme in multiple styles. Then there's Rondo '69. I have two problems with this piece. First, it's main theme is based on Dave Brubeck's Blue Rondo A La Turk, an amazing jazz masterpiece in 9/8 (split into 2-2-2-3). Nowhere does The Nice give Brubeck any credit, although most of the song is played. Secondly, they take this fantastic rhythm, and play it in 4/4. Grrrrrrrrrrr..... I know Keith can do better than this.

Still, this is a three star album.

Evolver | 3/5 |