Emerson Lake & Palmer - The Best of Emerson, Lake & Palmer  CD (album) cover

THE BEST OF EMERSON, LAKE & PALMER

Emerson Lake & Palmer

strayfromatlantis
3 stars This LP was issued in 1980 and two or three years later it introduced me to the world of ELP. Of course you listen to ELP in different ways, depending if you are 14 or 34, if you own the whole back-catalogue or just this one album. So, of course it should have been double vinyl, of course the more complicated and impressive stuff was left out. Of course this compilation aimed for the blatant commercial success. Do you think that mattered to me in 1982? I have nostalgic feelings about this album, although my personal 2CD collection of ELP differs greatly. I simply loved the single version of Fanfare...

So whether this a successful introduction to ELP or a throwaway depends on the circumstances. Only when you know the back-catalogue you realize this compilation is a trivilization. For personal reasons I cannot rate this album less than 3 stars.

Favourite Tracks: Hoedown, Jerusalem, Peter Gunn, Fanfare for the Common Man, Trilogy.

strayfromatlantis | 3/5 |