Krokodil - An Invisible World Revealed  CD (album) cover

AN INVISIBLE WORLD REVEALED

Krokodil

Krautrock

Dobermensch
2 stars If there's one instrument I hate more than bagpipes it's the mouth organ. Unfortunately for me, this is used frequently throughout this album. After the promising opening track things quickly deteriorate into run of the mill early 70's pastiche.

Krokodil have a very Anglicised / American approach to song construction which in no way do I associate with Krautrock.

The vocals are pretty ropey at best. They get away with it in the first track 'Lady of Attraction' because there's an electronic effect put through the voice. A lot of this album sounds like a very straight Captain Beefheart from his dodgy mid 70's period. It's a pity because judging by the front cover it looks as though this could be something really unusual. Believe me... it's not.

Despite the addition of sitar and generally excellent production values this fails on many counts. Most importantly it fails due to lack of originality coupled with a Swiss guy singing in English with a cod American accent. That's always a bug bear of mine.

The alleged 'bonus' of three tracks at the end don't improve matters either. They're just long jams that go on interminably. I'm afraid I find this kind of music mind numbingly dull and if I'm honest it barely deserves two stars, although I'm sure it will appeal to some prog fans. The only positive thing I can recommend about this is that it has a classic early 70's feel to it and is indeed very well produced.

Dobermensch | 2/5 |