Koenjihyakkei - Nivraym CD (album) cover

4 stars Crumbs almighty! How do you review an album like this? Things begin with vocals that seem totally out of synch with the instrumental parts - and you're left thinking - was that deliberate...? Koenjihyakkei's third album is another triumph, but beware all you Zeuhl fans - it's really heavy going and full in your face. Thankfully there's a lot of playfulness involved due to the presence of female voices but it still sounds totally crazed. Very similar to the follow up 'Ni' but not quite so deranged. I can't help thinking that this is how a Japanese 'Laibach' would have sounded if they let themselves go. I can't imagine many folk liking this due to its sheer intensity, but I love it! Most listeners will have to be in a particular frame of mind before hearing this recording as it's a full on experience. Personally I love this kind of madness and it makes me feel happy, so there!
Dobermensch | 4/5 |