David Byrne - The Catherine Wheel CD (album) cover

David Byrne

4 stars And the Byrne-lies down-on Broaaaoddway.

I hate to say it, but David Byrne had a prog peak. As the Talking Heads moved in a more commercial direction, David's work became rather dull. I still pick up his solo material on occasion, but primarily if I find it used while browsing a store.

This soundtrack album is one of his best along with the proggy Talking Heads albums and My Life In The Bush Of Ghosts. It really seems to be Byrne driven affair, but has a nice set of guest musicians: Adrian Belew, Brian Eno, Bernie Worrell. Twyla Tharpe even drops in doing water pot.

This is, of course, a score for a Broadway dance piece. If you take it for only it's musical value, there's a lot here to like. Most of the tracks are short, but there's a lot of purely instrumental bits. It's one of those musical things from the early '80's that doesn't suck.

A footnote (slight dance joke): A DVD is currently available, so you can either appreciate this as just a piece of music or see the spectacle of the original Broadway show. After all, it was ultimately a collaboration with Twyla.

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |