Khan - Space Shanty CD (album) cover

SPACE SHANTY

Khan

Canterbury Scene

Dobermensch
2 stars So called 'Supergroup' Khan's one and only release. Thank goodness, that's all I can say.

From the opening lines "I need you and you need me, also I need to be free!" I knew I was heading into choppy waters on a ramshackle boat which was about to spring leaks all over the place.

The phrase 'too many cooks spoil the broth' springs to mind. We've got Hillage, Hatfield, Egg and National Health all vying for supremacy and kicking lumps out of each other.

I've liked all these individual bands, but as Khan they don't appear to know where or what they're doing OR what they want - falling back on horrible Sabbath/Deep purple riffs every five minutes or so. As individual musicians they're brilliant - but this album is as rough as a badgers ass. The vocals are rotten too sounding like the clichéd early 70's from which they emerged.

Far too 'Rock' with no sense of adventure. Very disappointing.

Only the mighty 'Egg's' Dave Sinclair prevents this plumbing the depths.

Dobermensch | 2/5 |