David Sylvian - Blemish CD (album) cover

David Sylvian

2 stars Blemish is the 10th ( with and without various collaborators) full-length studio album by UK progressive/ experimental pop/ rock artist David Sylvian.

The music on the album is experiemental and ambient pop/ rock with David Sylvian“s emotional and warm vocal delivery as the focal point. The songs are very ambient in nature and features electronic sounds and a great deal of atonal and experimental guitar playing. While the experiment in itself is interesting I can“t say that I“m too thrilled about the outcome. David Sylvian“s vocal lines are seldom supported by anything harmonic, which generally make the songs very monotone sounding. Blemish is a very introvert album and while that concept can work wonders sometimes, I think Blemish fails in engaging the listener for very long. The vocals and the rest of the music seem like they were recorded independently and then brougth together.

The production is warm and professional.

Blemish is quite a disappointment for me. I have a hard time enjoying the album and while I greatly respect David Sylvian“s experimental approach to writing pop/ rock, this is too "different" for my taste. I enjoy his music more when it“s more harmonic and melodic. I can“t give more than a 2 star rating.

UMUR | 2/5 |