Votum - Metafiction CD (album) cover

METAFICTION

Votum

Menswear
3 stars Slower, softer, deeper.

Yes, this album is different than Time Must Have a Stop. Yes, the tendency to aim towards ballads is obvious and yes, it disappoint me a teeny tiny bit.

By no means the album is bad, it's just a change of pace. The band founded it's niche into slower and less claustrophobic atmosphere, instead of burning fuel on the Riverside tangent they experiment on the first album. If your ears don't like to be rubbed the wrong way, you will enjoy this album because it won't mess with your hair often. But then...why so many ballads?

I frankly didn't expect songs structures like those: rythms done by pop-modern keyboards without solos, singing mostly in lower tones, almost whispering at times, a minimum of anger...should I say this is a more romantic album? Yes, yes I do.

Think of heavier Enchant.

..and oh, the screams are more belivable this time; no sodas involved this time.

Menswear | 3/5 |