Gentle Giant - In A Glass House CD (album) cover

IN A GLASS HOUSE

Gentle Giant

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
3 stars After my disappointment with Octopus I was slightly hesitant to continue drilling my way through the Gentle Giant discography. But the abundance of critical acclaim for second 4-album batch motivated me to do so anyway. Album number 5 on the list is an ok Giant album but it's still not as mesmerizing as Acquiring the Taste and Three Friends.

The album rocks harder then Octopus and with the opening killer track it takes a strong start. I like the samples of the glass shattering that sets the rhythm for the main riff. The weird baroque vocals are still an acquired taste and sometimes sound a bit gimmicky, just like the endless renaissance indulgences. I can't say I'm overwhelmed with powerful emotions when listening to them.

The songs go through the typical Gentle Giant motions, with lots of strange twists, angular riffs and mathematical precision. It's a very studied type of music and there's no room for sonic experimentation, noise, improvisation or other frivolous things. The resulting effect is a bit sterile and lifeless, but it's technically perfect and probable very satisfying/frustrating for the musicians amongst us.

It's excellent music but it misses something, it lacks the spontaneity and looseness that speaks to the imagination and tickles the senses. Surely a recommended title fans.

Bonnek | 3/5 |