David Sylvian - Brilliant Trees  CD (album) cover

BRILLIANT TREES

David Sylvian

BrufordFreak
4 stars One of my all-time favorite album sides (Side 2) from one of the 80's few and true innovators of musical sound, structure and mood.

1. "Pulling Punches" (5:01) a great, quirky start to this eye-opening album. 8/10

2. "The Ink in the Well" (4:29) beautiful and spacey, though lacking catchy melody. 6/10

3. "Nostalgia" (5:39) is a prog "pop" masterpiece, What a mood, what powerful melody and lyrics, what horns. 10/10

4. "Red Guitar" (5:07) is an okay song--more like JAPAN than his new direction. 5/10

5. "Weathered Wall" (5:40) my second introduction to JON HASSELL (ENO's "Ambient 4: On Land" was my first). Stunning emotional impact everytime I listen to it. One of the great songs ever recorded. 10/10

6. "Backwaters" (4:49) has amazing samples/radio inicidentals from HOLGER CZUKAY. Love the bass line. 9/10

7. "Brilliant Trees" (8:35) almost as powerful and awesome as "Weathered Wall" HASSELL just blows me away!! 10/10

This album has some 'weaker' songs and therefore can't quite gain masterpiece status, but, as with MANY other albums, there are some masterful songs contained herein--including that rarest of feats--a near-'perfect' side! Plus, this album stands up very well over time (as opposed to so many other albums from the 80s).

4.5 stars marked down for 'Foxtrot/Selling England-like' lows.

BrufordFreak | 4/5 |