Nektar - Recycled CD (album) cover

Nektar

Psychedelic/Space Rock

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
2 stars I've been listening to this album with continuing amazement. Not just because it's the Spinal Tab of prog, but because it only garnered one 1 star so far. Folks are too friendly here.

Much of my discontent has to do with how this sounds, a sound that I would describe as David Bowie doing an AOR meets funky space-opera that is produced by Phil Spector in a particularly bombastic mood. Another reviewer compared this to the BeeGees in a serious identity crises. Well that's certainly a way to put it.

Tons of synths have to provide a spacey sauce on top of this funky-musical material, but it can't hide the fact that this isn't much different from Meatloaf's Paradise by The Dashboard Light, my number one of most-hated rock songs ever. Now, since about half of the earth's population would disagree with me on that particular point, it's still quite probable you would like this album.

I usually can always think of someone to recommend an album to. In case of Recycled I really wouldn't know. Beegees fans maybe? Or else I should pass this one on to a punk magazine so that they can relish at tearing apart another 70s album. And this time not without reason. If you don't take this album too seriously then it can be fun. It often gave me a good laugh actually. But I'm afraid the band was very serious about this.

Bonnek | 2/5 |