Umphrey's McGee - Summer Sampler 2010 CD (album) cover

SUMMER SAMPLER 2010

Umphrey's McGee

Slartibartfast
4 stars Imagine if you will, walking into a liquor store, bringing your hooch up the counter and seeing three copies of a freebie Umphrey's McGee CD on the counter. It happened to me, it may not happen to you.

The material on this disc may actually be available as a freebie somewhere on their web site. Anyway, if you can get yourself a hold of a copy of this, it's a primary example of what makes them a great band. The live stuff isn't a carbon copy of the studio stuff. It isn't that it's sloppy. It's just that they kick it up a notch.

Turn & Run is transformed into Turn & Dub. Two versions of Nothing Too Fancy are offered up. This is probably their biggest canvas tune for improvisation. Was one of my favorites off of the first album I tried. We've also got August off of their out of print first album. A few songs I haven't heard of that may be on their next album: The Linear, Conduit, Got Your Milk Right (Here).

Music worthy of being released as an official live album.

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |