Jan Akkerman - LIVE - Montreux Jazz festival - 1978 CD (album) cover

LIVE - MONTREUX JAZZ FESTIVAL - 1978

Jan Akkerman

snobb
3 stars As almost any Jan Akkerman's album, this his first ever live solo release is inconsistent. It starts with few great guitar fusion compositions, aerial, with energy and even sharpness in moments.

I am not a big fan of him, but in moments I hear there sound what I like - powerful jazz-rock with melodies, complexity and even some drive. But very soon good beginning changes far not so good second half.

Jan plays safe, strongly influenced by European classic instrumental music without adrenaline. And at the end some pop-rock moments can destroy initial good opinion strongly. Being even a live album, it lacks life and vibes. And obviously has too many housewives-friendly tunes. Yes, I know, almost all Jan's music is like this...

In all - not a bad album, but far from great one.

snobb | 3/5 |