Yes - Union CD (album) cover

UNION

sussexbowler
4 stars I like 'Union'. Always have.

It's a combination of Trevor Rabin's 'Yes' and the 'old' school of Anderson Bruford Wakeman and Steve Howe (ABWH).

Because I thought that the ABWH album was much better than 'Big Generator', I expected to enjoy ABWH's input on 'Union' more than Trevor Rabin's input.. However, I don't think that that is the case.

I like Yes' sound, so I've got no problems with any of it be honest, but surprisingly, I preferred the Rabin songs. I found ABWH 's input to be unfocused and pretentious.

Regardless, I reckon that this album is worth buying for the song 'Miracle of life' alone. One of Yes' best. Great bass.

It's less commercial than either '90125' or 'Big Generator', and the shorter songs seem a step up in quality. Oh, and don't expect another ABWH either. It's nothing like it.

So, don't be put off by the politics (or the bad mark). This is an enjoyable Yes album in my view, and a strong version of Yes' sound with Rabin around.

sussexbowler | 4/5 |