Phideaux - Doomsday Afternoon CD (album) cover

DOOMSDAY AFTERNOON

Phideaux

Evolver
Crossover & JazzRock/Fusion Teams
5 stars This album is one I learned about here at Progarchives, and I am grateful to have found it here. When I listen to it, it always makes me think that this is the album Steven Wilson wishes he could make.

With a name like "Phideaux", I expected a Frank Zappa influence ("Phideaux" being the name and spelling he gave his tour buses - named after the poodle that appears in some of his songs). Instead, this is a beautiful mix of prog styles. The main influence I hear is Pink Floyd. Many of the songs are some of the best approximations of classic Floyd I've ever heard. But that is not all. There is also a hefty helping of lush symphonic prog, and even some prog-folk.

Mr. Phideaux's voice falls somewhere between Roger Hodgson of Supertramp and Edward Ka-Spel from The Legendary Pink Dots, although at times he reminds me a bit of Weird Al Yankovic. But never do the vocals become grating.

I highly recommend this wonderful and very eclectic album, probably the best release of 2007.

Evolver | 5/5 |