Meshuggah - I CD (album) cover

Tech/Extreme Prog Metal

4 stars It is short, it is deadly. If "Nothing" was cold and ruthless in your opinion, then you'd better leave this one in the box. After releasing NOTHING which was "softer" in a way than fantastic CHAOSPHERE, Meshuggah recorded this EP, consisting of one 21-minutes long piece. When I've heard it for the first time it took my breath away for about 20 seconds. Your experience will be the same, it's a safe bet.

"I" is completely insane piece of extreme progressive metal. It is a brilliant creation of ruthless, cold, amazing and very heavy music. Despite its length there are not many slowdowns, the music gallops like a five-legged skittish horse with a stroke - abundance of incredible tempos, polyrhythms, irregular number of repetitions and odd construction of themes based on even more bizarre time signatures. You know all of that from NOTHING and CHAOSPHERE but here... it is condensed, heavier and more insane than ever. If the slowdown happens - and it happens twice - it's discordant and ominous making you even more terrified and amazed by the terror of "I".

This is the most representative of all Meshuggah releases - The Swedes capsule record if you know what I mean. Extremely heavy and dense, this is one of the darkest and most ominous releases in the history of music . If you are interested in avantgarde music and you're not afraid of extreme, heavy sound, absolute lack of nice melodies and brain damage, this album is for you.

bartosso | 4/5 |