David Bowie - Heathen CD (album) cover

HEATHEN

David Bowie

Rune2000
Prog Metal Team
4 stars This album was the first David Bowie record that was released during the time when I officially considered myself a fan of his and therefore didn't hesitate much on whether or not I should consider purchasing it!

It's safe to say that I was not disappointed by this album since it pretty much took everything I loved about hours...' and polished it up to a much sharper album experience. Sunday is such an excellent album intro, but it must have been a very risky one as well since there was a big chance that it would have been dismissed as pretentious rambling of an old-timer if the the rest of the album didn't back it up. Fortunately, the tracks that follow are all of the same high quality and never even give me a hint of a disappointing moment.

Cactus is a cover of a Pixies song from their classic album Surfer Rosa and I would actually like to state that Bowie's version is superior to the original! I have unfortunately not heard the original versions of the two other covers but both I've Been Waiting For You and I Took A Trip On A Gemini Spaceship are excellent performances on Bowie's part. The best thing about all these covers is how well they manage to merge with the rest of the material on this record and the final result is a very complete album experience.

Finally, we also get some amazing ballads like Slip Away and Everyone Says 'Hi' that complete the overall sound of Heathen to the smallest detail. David Bowie did an amazing comeback in this new century and although his previous album, 'hours...', did give me the feeling that Bowie was finally getting on the right track, this album actually is there. A highly recommended experience!

***** star songs: Sunday (4:45) Cactus (2:54) Slip Away (6:05) Everyone Says 'Hi' (3:59)

**** star songs: Slow Burn (4:41) Afraid (3:28) I've Been Waiting For You (3:00) I Would Be Your Slave (5:14) I Took A Trip On A Gemini Spaceship (4:04) 5:15 The Angels Have Gone (5:00) A Better Future (4:11) Heathen (The Rays) (4:16)

Rune2000 | 4/5 |