Slivovitz - Hubris CD (album) cover

3 stars A very strange jazz/fusion album.

When I nominated this band for inclusion in PA, I labeled them "frisky". Which is the most accurate description on this album. Frisky because it has so many different kinds of elements and expressions. From gentle electric guitar pickings and solos to female vocals with no words and woodwinds of all sorts. This album actually reminds me of the Picchio Dal Pozzo albums. And that takes us to the Canterbury Scene genre. This album also have a lot of ethno music and Zeuhl too. In short; this is by no means a clean cut jazz/fusion album. The music is all over the place. But Picchio Dal Pozzo is not a bad reference.

The all over the place nature of this album also makes it a bit difficult to follow and get the feel for. The quality of this album is good, but nothing more. But there is some great pieces of music on this album, but this album is mostly a bit confusing. It is recommended to all jazz and Canterbury fans out there and it is pretty obvious that Slivovitz is a band to be reckoned with in the future. I love the artwork though.

3.5 stars