Pendragon - Believe CD (album) cover

BELIEVE

Pendragon

lazland
4 stars I've been listening to a lot of this band's material lately, and have left it a long time before I started to review any of them.

I've decided to start off with 2005's Believe, which I must stress, is not particularly representative of what went before from this great band. Indeed, it is not an exaggeration to state that this album marked a bit of a turning point, in that it moved well away from more "traditional" neo prog territory, to a more guitar orientated, and, dare I say it, modern feel.

It is none the worse for that. This is a very good album, and one that drips throughout with Nick Barrett's very acidic view of the world, expressed with some very good vocals.

There are some fine acoustic guitars on the whole work, and the band mix these with some very strong heavy passages.

This is also one of those albums which demands to be listened to a number of times before being fully appreciated, and it gets better with each listen.

If you are stepping into this album expecting a mere Genesis lite clone type of album, think again, and step back. If, however, you wish to hear a great band from the second wave of prog update their sound to a thoroughly modern, acoustic strong, almost post indie sound, then come along and enjoy the ride, because it really is thoroughly worth it.

Four stars. A fantastic piece of work.

lazland | 4/5 |