Ayreon - The Universal Migrator part two: Flight Of The Migrator CD (album) cover

THE UNIVERSAL MIGRATOR PART TWO: FLIGHT OF THE MIGRATOR

Ayreon

arcane-beautiful
3 stars Ok, second part, the metal side.

In the last review when I said I would pick a favourite, I'm sad to say, that I slightly prefer the first part. I know this is almost blasphemous coming from quite a big metal fan, but to be honest, I thought the material and atmosphere just beat this album by a hair.

I though the line up of vocalists was better this time around and their wasn't any songs that I disliked, but it's one of those weird decisions that doesn't make sense, and to be honest it was a bit of a head scratcher.

Concept wise, the story goes beyond space and time, to the beginning of the universe, and the amazing Ayreon sound really does bring forth quite a bright imagination.

1. Chaos - Introduction, bit like the intro of the last album.Amazing progressive metal instrumental. Mesmerizing. 10/10

2. Dawn Of A Million Souls - Wow, what amazing vocals. The chorus is one of the best Ayreon chorus' I have ever heard. 10/10

3. Journey On The Waves Of Time - Some odd but cool arrangements. Killer vocals. 8/10

4. To The Quasar - The first part is pretty cool and well done. The main riff in the 2nd part is mammothly heavy. The chorus is pure cheese. 9/10

5. Into The Black Hole - How the hell did Arjen get Bruce Dickinson. We'll never know really. Quite dramatic. Great vocal performance. 9/10

6. Through The Wormhole - Musically it sounds like Steve Vai. Pretty cool vocals, although Fabian can do way better. 8/10

7. Out Of The White Hole - Great chorus and some kick ass guitar and organ work. Great vocals from Timo. 10/10

8. To The Solar System - Nice wee chorus, but a wee bit forgetful. 8/10

9. The New Migrator - Pretty epic ending. Great vocals and some kick ass riffs. 9/10

CONCLUSION: 2 albums are great, but this one is just a wee bit weaker. Both are worth the price, especially because you get 2 for the price of one, imagine that.

arcane-beautiful | 3/5 |