Popol Vuh - Hosianna Mantra CD (album) cover

Popol Vuh

Krautrock

Bonnek
Prog Metal Team
4 stars After two dense and experimental electronic albums, Florian Fricke found religion and turned his music into more introspective directions. The inspiration from various religious traditions and ethnic sources proved to be a fertile source, but I believe it took him a couple of albums to perfect his new sound.

The first nu-Popol album is stunning in places. The opener for instance is so delightful, subtle and rich. If Florian Fricke tried to find pure beauty then he found it in all its dazzling splendor here. Also Kyrie and the first part of the title track are strong. The instrumentation is very acoustic, with piano and clean electric guitar picking. Delicate female vocals and a small chamber music ensemble round out the sound.

At times it can get a bit too mellow and romantic for my taste, as in the second half of the title track and the ensuing Departure, that makes me feel as though I'm listening to Christmas carols. But the album restores the magic in its last 15 minutes that are filled with beautiful fragile music, especially the sparse and jazzy Not High in Heaven is brilliant.

The album is a strong start in Popol Vuh's second life with some really superb material. 3.5 for sure, 4 if I'm in a mellow mood.

Bonnek | 4/5 |