Gentle Giant - The Power And The Glory  CD (album) cover

THE POWER AND THE GLORY

Gentle Giant

ZowieZiggy
2 stars Lots of reviewers are writing that this album is complex and they are right. I would like to add that it is very difficult to apprehend and almost impossible for me to step in and enjoy this work.

It is not as such that it is so different from some prior GG releases; but at least during some of them, there were some melodic passages, fine polyphonic vocal harmonies which are all absent here. Let's put it frankly: this "Power and the Glory" is only meant to GG fans. Even old freaks like I am and who has tried to follow their path was totally out of duty while attempting to do so.

To get an idea of how this complex music sounds, you just need to a listen to "So Sincere". It is a real and difficult exercise. Ouch! It bloody hurts! The sweet and jazzy "Aspirations" almost sounds as a jewel compared to this poor song.

This album is orphan of great songs IMHHO. The only good moment I have experienced is "No God's A Man"; and as a whole it can't rate pretty high on my scale. But since the beginning of my GG reviews, I have always said that very few of their music was able to rave me. So it was some thirty five years ago; so it is by now.

Two stars for this "Power & The Glory". No glory at all as far as I am concerned. All tastes are in nature.

ZowieZiggy | 2/5 |