Gentle Giant - Free Hand  CD (album) cover

FREE HAND

Gentle Giant

ZowieZiggy
2 stars I was quite irritated while I was willing to post my initial review for this work. And this music worked so much on my nerves while reviewing this album, that I decided to leave it for awhile and give it another chance to rate better on my musical scale.

But the more I listen to this album, the more I get upset with the music I am listening to. As long as instrumental parts are concerned, I can cope with it. But these vocals are seriously working on my nerves. They are an integrant part of the GG world though. The opening "Just the Same" is a perfect summary of my earlier description.

"On Reflection" conveys some musical masturbation which is quite embarrassing to my ears. And I can only bear the title track with difficulties. Jazz music and annoying vocals: this is my perception of the next and title track. I can understand that there are other opinions than mine. I just hope that fellow reviewers will also understand that there are other opinions as theirs. If I look at the ratings, I belong to the 2% rating this album with only two stars.

The second part of the album can't raise my enthusiasm either, on the contrary. The same irritating mood prevails ("Last Voyage", "Mobile"). I can't help: I don't like this album.

ZowieZiggy | 2/5 |