The Trip - Caronte CD (album) cover

CARONTE

The Trip

Rock Progressivo Italiano

ZowieZiggy
4 stars I quite liked their debut album, and this one is a perfect continuation of the work started one year prior to this release.

The fundamentals have not changed: "The Trip" stills play a solid psychedelic rock (sung in English) and the best of this album are the instrumental passages. Just listen to the superb and wild opening number to make up your mind. Logically, the model resides in the Floydean atmospheres of the late middle sixties.

But even three years after that period, it must have been quite daring for an Italian band to play such music. Don't forget that in these prehistorically days, Banco nor PFM had seen the light. "The Trip" must then be considered as a pioneer in the peninsula, although as I have said in my review of their first album that they have nothing to share with the Italian genre. Psyche music and English lyrics: that's what you get here.

At times, they play somewhat heavier as well ("Two Brothers"). Solid keys la "Atomic Rooster" is quite well performed. The echoed vocals are just another confirmation of the musical style of the era.

The longest number has to be considered as a tribute to Hendrix. Still: lots of keyboards, melody and little crazy guitar. Another highlight of this work: the heavy groove is catchy, the loaded organ is powerful: I have to admit that I quite like these sort of sounds. Vocals are just average, but I have already mentioned that the vocal department was not quite in line. Anyway: nobody's perfect.

I think that this album is worth seven out of ten, but due to its historical importance I will upgrade it to four stars. But be aware that this is a psychedelic rock album sung in English.

ZowieZiggy | 4/5 |