801 - 801 Live CD (album) cover

801 LIVE

801

Slartibartfast
4 stars I will not ever forget my first encounter with this album. It was on 8-track. Putting the medium aside it made a huge impression on me. I was just getting into Roxy Music and this one has Phil Manzanera and Brian Eno on it as the primary artists. If you don't care for Bryan Ferry's earlier vocal stylings, not to worry, he's not here. This is pretty much an Eno/ Manzanera affair. Eno is also very prominent and for the remastered version, there are extra tunes are from Brian Eno's solo albums.

You get a couple of covers. The Beatles Tomorrow Never Knows and the Kinks You Really Got Me done quite well. Brian Eno may have had enough of Roxy, but he kept working with Phil and they did make some really good music. This album was one of their best collaborations. When it comes to live albums where the tracks distance themselves from their originals, this one can't be beat.

"When things get bad, I can always turn into a cloud, if the wind will blow me there."

Slartibartfast | 4/5 |