Grobschnitt - Rockpommel's Land  CD (album) cover

Prog Metal Team
3 stars I had a short-lived fling with Grobschnitt around 2008 when I was generally trying to expand my horizons towards French and German prog music. My first experience of the band was through their magnificent live album called Solar Music - Live and then decided to follow it up with an album that featured a Roger Dean-inspired album cover.

What I got out of this release was not exactly what I originally anticipated since Solar Music - Live was much more inspired by the Space Rock movement while Rockpommel's Land can be described like a Symphonic Prog concept album. This sudden change of direction didn't discourage me from giving the album it's proper share of listening time but eventually I it was placed on a storage shelf. It's not that Rockpommel's Land is a bad album, in fact it's pretty decent, but I just can't see anything special about it. Yes, the instrumental arrangements are great, the vocals are sugary but without making me feel uncomfortable and the concept itself is just plain weird. It's not like this is the first time an album just didn't click with me but usually I have something more substantial to say about my reasons behind the final rating. This is really not the case with this Grobschnitt release. I can't even dismiss as a clone of the UK Symphonic Prog movement since it only vaguely follows that formula while still maintaining a clear sense of originality with its music.

My final verdict is very mixed one since I do generally recommend experiencing this album although I can't exactly pinpoint any clear target audience for Rockpommel's Land. The album is very highly devoted to maintaining the narrative in focus and is therefore a definite departure from the other Grobschnitt releases while the fans of Symphonic Prog probably won't lay their money down for this rather unusual release.

**** star songs: Ernie's Reise (11:04) Severity Town (10:00) Rockpommel's Land (19:58)

*** star songs: Anywhere (4:20)

Rune2000 | 3/5 |