Uriah Heep - Head First CD (album) cover

HEAD FIRST

Uriah Heep

Eetu Pellonpää
3 stars This album won't please many prog fans, as it's more like a pure hard-rock album of the 80's. I'm also not very fond of the aestethics of mentioned style, but I think this album has some nice qualities, and as this is spiced up with some nostalgia for me I ended up with three star rating.

The opener "The Other Side of Midnight" is quite catchy hit song (how perverse!), and the band has played it still on their gigs even at the 21th century. The A-side of the LP is otherwise quite dull, but the last song on it, "Love is Blind", is quite nice powerful tune. The B-side of the LP is much better then! It begins with an movie soundtrack sounding orchestral intro, which switches as "Red Lights", a quite powerful rock song. The music continues with out stops as "Rollin' The Rock", which has nice quiet and loud parts doing hold and release pairings. This is followed by a ballad "Straight Through the Heart", which is without doubt very, very sweet, but I liked it still. The ending song "Weekend Warriors" is also OK. I had quite silly impression from that song, as I first misheard the verse going as "Viking Warriors"!

Though I liked this album a bit, a prog listener should be very careful with it. Don't buy it without listening it first carefully!

Eetu Pellonpää | 3/5 |