The Residents - Duck Stab / Buster & Glen CD (album) cover

The Residents

Crossover & JR/F/Canterbury Teams
5 stars "Your heart is like a silken sponge that calls saliva love."

If music can truly be characterized as deranged, then this is an album that is deranged. The liner notes claim that the album contains "modern day nursery rhymes". If so, this album is for the Addams Family children. Lyrically twisted, and musically off the charts, this album will frighten children, and confuse adults.

It's one of my favorite Residents albums.

The songs, on the surface, sound simplistic. But listen deeply and you will hear microtonal chords and scales, and some of the weirdest sounding instruments anywhere. The best songs? If I had to choose, they would be Constantinople (yes, that song), Sinister Exaggerator (quoted above) and Hello Skinny. But don't get me wrong, the entire album, from start to finish, is great.

My copy, the ESD 1987 release, has the EP "Goosebumps" as a bonus. This is "a re- recording of Mother Goose with the original sinister overtones left intact". It makes the album even better.

Evolver | 5/5 |