The Moody Blues - Days Of Future Passed  CD (album) cover

DAYS OF FUTURE PASSED

The Moody Blues

Flucktrot
4 stars There seems to be debate over whether this album has "aged" well or not.

Count me in the camp who believes that Days of Future Passed has not aged particularly well.

The poppy bits (toward the middle of the album) sound very much to me like simple Beatles-ish crooning and harmonizing. Sandwiching this material between orchestral interludes and outtros does not link things together very well...in fact, it just makes things sound more disjointed to my ears. Using the orchestra was a progressive idea, but for a good part of the album, neither the band nor the orchestra is really playing anything particularly new.

Of course, I'm being overly harsh. I love the creativity and brashness of the concept and execution. There were simply fewer previous mistakes to have learned from in 1967, and the Moodies get plenty of credit for being the first to make some of the above mistakes.

And certainly Tuesday Afternoon is a classic song, and Nights in White Satin is a prog-rock classic, and a wonderful close to the album to boot. Yes, the Moodies were my favorite mellotroners of the time...that is, until In the Court of the Crimson King.

Four stars for historical importance. I don't particularly enjoy much of Days of Future Past, but my collection would not feel right without its presence.

Flucktrot | 4/5 |