Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill CD (album) cover

CAN'T BUY A THRILL

Steely Dan

Flucktrot
4 stars Do not let the absolutely dreadful cover fool you--there is good music to be found within!

As a progger, there are many reasons for me to dislike the Dan (i.e., pop sensibilities, reliance on session musicians, no perfect genre to pigeonhole them into, etc), but I simply cannot help it...I love the Dan.

And I particularly love this album. Each song is fairly simple, but each have the charm of skilled songwriters and musicians that did not yet have the time or money to overextend--or overproduce--their material. Each piece has a warm sound and a newbie's energy and soul.

What amazes me is that there is no dud to be found on this album--I honestly enjoy each song, from the classic rock shuffle of Reelin, to the bossy bossa nova Fool, to the soothing slide of Charmer, to the quasi-anthem Guard. As a notorious song-skipper, this is remarkable for me.

So, as a debut for the Dan, I'm going into 4 star territory for Can't Buy a Thrill. I admit some personal bias--I just love this album, while few others would put it among their Steely Dan prizes--but Can't Buy a Thrill at least bought me a good deal of musical satisfaction.

Flucktrot | 4/5 |