Steely Dan - Katy Lied CD (album) cover

Steely Dan

2 stars What got into Steely Dan with Katy Lied? Or perhaps more appropriately, what inspiration failed to get into Fagen and Becker with this album?

I'm not usually one to promote Greatest Hits compilations--and I'm not recommending it for Steely Dan either, by any means--but albums like this one pro against many cons regarding why a compilation disk may be a good idea.

What we have here is one great song--the cool, shuffle rocker Black Friday, featuring some killer guitar licks and genuine energy--and another definite keeper, the charming and catchy Bad Sneakers. After these openers, there's really little reason to listen further, as none--that's right, not even ONE!--contains a tempo, attitude, or energy that I would consider to be rock. At this point, Steely Dan have been making a definite downward trend, and I would dare even call them underachievers in the aftermath of Katy Lied.

So, familiarize yourself with Black Friday and Bad Sneakers in any way you see fit, and my recommendation for the rest of Katy Lied would be this: Move along folks--nothing to see here!

Flucktrot | 2/5 |