Godspeed You! Black Emperor - F# A# ∞ CD (album) cover

Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Post Rock/Math rock

Sean Trane
Prog Folk
4 stars 4.5 stars really. Although all of the albums of GYBE! are good , this first album is the utmost original as the following ones only repeat the formula albeit more refined. I have a tendency to couple this debut with the EP second release as my favourite one. It is always disturbing to see that a group is not giving more info about itself or its music and is maintaining this "flou artistique " that we as progheads find derangesome . My fellow reviewers describe acurately the music especially James with the astonishingly patient rythm section.

GYBE! is seen now as the leading group in this strange current of music called Post-Rock and somewhat give a new meaning to that music genre: The Post Atomic Rock . Some of the climaxes have all the drama of an atomic explosion and the quieter moments are sometimes so gloomy (and tearingly beautiful ) that it feels just like the survivors of the blast are gathering what they can .

A real must hear and listen and hunting down and acquiring for fans of unconventional music. From my experiences , most neo-prog fans (at least the ones I know ) do not really endorse this band as the constant mayhem seem to disturb them.

Sean Trane | 4/5 |