Rhapsody (of Fire) - Power of the Dragonflame  CD (album) cover

Rhapsody (of Fire)

2 stars I'm not really one to understand the widespread fascination with Rhapsody - I'll admit that occasionally they have their charm, and some pretty fast licks, but that is only what you'll see on your first impression.. I challenge Rhapsody fans to listen a little more closely to their music, because, as much as i hate to use this generalisation, but it all sounds the same. It's the same recycled rifting over and over and over, and i dont mean in a progressive way, but many of their songs actually sound close to identical. It bores me, and this album is no exception.

Rhapsody hasnt really come up with anything new with this album, recycling old riffs from their past albums, mixing them in a blender, and trying to pass it off as anything new or original..

To be fair, the album has its moments, but thats all they are, and you will tire of it quickly.. I feel that this album is just further lengthening the gap between what was once power metal, and the silly repetitive ballads that make up the better part of the genre today.

Those itching for a power metal fix should probably go with something a bit more traditional along the lines of blind guardian/iced earth or their new combined demons & wizards albums, and give this release a wide berth.

| 2/5 |