Passport - Cross-Collateral CD (album) cover

CROSS-COLLATERAL

Passport

snobb
4 stars Passport can play great progressive fusion! No joke,I'm serious!

It happened I for years listened to different Passport albums from late 70-s,80-s,90-s and never could understand why this band was so popular at all. To be honest, many of later albums are recorded by Klaus Doldinger with different occasional musicians just using "Passport" trademark, but it was hardly possible to find any reason to like them .

When one day I got this their old release, I had no big expectations. And I was wrong! This album is excellent release containing explosive mix of prog rock,jazz fusion and funky groove. It's even strange for me to hear how great Klaus' sax can sound! All musicians are great, and music there is fresh ,various and absolutely on the standard of best prog fusion bands of that time (more comparative to Headhunters and later Weather Report though).

It's interesting to hear that music recorded there sounds as band's product, not Klaus soloing sax with support of back-up band. All four musicians are really competent, but ,besides of Klaus sax, I especially like keyboards (openly influenced by Hancock) and drums sounds.

Even if still with light brass band sound, music there has many components of progressive fusion and progressive rock as well. Very good album for fans of above mentioned bands, unhappily last in line of really good Passport albums for years (till now).

snobb | 4/5 |