Peter Sinfield - Still CD (album) cover

Peter Sinfield

4 stars The Japanese Mini-LP sleeve CD version of "Still" sounds much better than "Stillusion", which suffers from an EQ problem: the high frequencies are unnaturally pronounced. I loved this album from the moment I bought it in 1973. I'm sure many listeners are put off by Sinfield's high, thin, reedy voice, but I find it fitting and original. The songwriting, performances and arrangements are first-rate and varied. Stylistically, it isn't really a "progressive" album throughout, with elements of folk, classical and even country. Some of my favorite Pete Sinfield lyrics appear on this album. Since "Islands" is the last King Crimson album with Sinfield, it's no surprise that there are similarities. Both albums have more than a passing "pastoral" feel that runs through them. Admittedly an acquired taste, this album makes me wish Sinfield had continued his solo career...
soundsweird | 4/5 |