Radiohead - OK Computer CD (album) cover

OK COMPUTER

Radiohead

FloydWright
4 stars Before I go further, I want to say that I do consider RADIOHEAD prog in the overall view. While I despise the "next Pink Floyd" comparisons I used to hear, I do think that's the element the two bands have in common.

This is EXACTLY what happened to RADIOHEAD.Yes, the songs on this album can be more traditional rock in places. No, OK Computer is not a perfect masterpiece. But still, I think it is worth hearing. Opinions may differ, but I do feel that RADIOHEAD has every right to be here.

In my opinion, RADIOHEAD has released a total of three noteworthy albums: The Bends, Kid A, and the album linking the two, OK Computer. Even though I believe that the current RADIOHEAD might be creatively spent by now, do not let their recent mediocre output discourage you from trying this album. Yes, there does seem to be some filler that you have to be in a specific mood for ("Fitter Happier", "Electioneering", and "No Surprises"), but even that is by no means worthless, and when you are in the mood, quite enjoyable. Overall, this is an solid album that deserves 4 stars.

My favorite songs are the beautiful "Subterranean Homesick Alien" (an ET's-eye view of us Earthlings), "Let Down", and the chilling "Climbing up the Walls". The eerie, siren-like noise at the end of that song is no synthesizer; in fact, it is several violins all slightly out of tune with each other, playing in unison. It's touches like that, that make this album what it is. Other songs, "Karma Police", "Paranoid Android", and "Exit Music (for a Film)" have come to mean more to me over time even though I was initially not seeing what all the fuss was about. This album and The Bends (their pop rock album) will probably have the most mass appeal of RADIOHEAD's three important albums, more so than their experimental masterwork, KID A, the album I recommend the most to the true proghead. I've kept this review short because I think much of what can be said about OK Computer has already been said or will be mentioned by other reviewers. My final words are--don't mind the filler; pick this up anyway if you are interested in hearing the link between their two flawless albums.

FloydWright | 4/5 |