Yes - Going for the One CD (album) cover

GOING FOR THE ONE

Frankie Flowers
4 stars "Going For The One" has a really fresh sound and I often notice how ahead of it's time it sounds. In fact I'd say it's timeless. There's definitely something special about it. This album also has such a huge variety of sounds too with each song sounding completely different to the next.

"Turn Of The Century" is a real beauty. The slight echo effect with guitar and keyboards makes it all the more an emotional and atmospheric piece. On "Parallels" Keyboardist Wakeman uses a church organ sound which gives a very different effect to a rock style song. The main highlight of the album is the truly amazing "Awaken", a 15 minute track with a few different sections, often sounding slightly exotic. This is an essential track for lovers of progressive rock.

Although this isn't my favourite album from Yes I do like it very much. Most fans of the band will mostly at least acknowledge it as a significant release. Thorougly recommended to all. 4 stars.

Frankie Flowers | 4/5 |